Frivolité – Salted Caramel and Apple Macarons

For the third and final instalment of this weeks Macaron posts I am sharing my most successful and current favourite – Pierre Herme’s “Frivolté” which is his name for Salted Caramel and Apple, think tarte tatin or candy apples and you know this combination is a sure fire winner.  I think making these batches quite close together really helped with my technique, these were definitely the most successful batch I have made so far. For the first time I have also frozen half of the unfilled shells and come this weekend they will be defrosted and served as part of my Dad’s 60th birthday celebrations, which is just the icing on the cake. I think I may have overcommitted myself just a little because I have agreed to make a tripe-layer Dulce de Leche cake, a Lemon Tart, Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes, on top of the Macarons.  I promise that after this current spate of Macaron posts I will refrain for posting anymore of these for a considerable time, I wouldn’t want to overwhelm or bore anyone!

300g Ground Almonds

300g Icing Sugar

110g “Liquefied” Egg Whites

15g Egg Yellow Food Colouring

330g Granualted Sugar

75g  Mineral Water

110g “Liquefied” Egg Whites

330g Granualted Sugar

335g Single Cream

65g Salted Butter

290g Unsalted Butter

4 to 5 Apples (Boskop, Cox or Granny Smith)

30g Lemon Juice

20g Granulated Sugar

1. The day before prepare the partially dried apples. Peel and core the apples and cut into 8mm cubes. Pour the lemon juice in a bowl with the apples, Mix in the sugar. Preheat oven to 90C. Spread the diced apples on a baking sheet and allow to dry for about 1hr in the oven. The apples should be visibly drier. Keep at room temperature overnight.

2. Sift the icing sugar with the almond powder. Mix the colouring in the first amount of  “liquefied” egg whites. Put them on the icing sugar-free almond mix but don’t mix together.

3. Heat the water and sugar over medium and boil until it reaches 118C. Once the syrup reaches 115C, simultaneously begin to whisk the whites. Once at 118 pour the syrup down the sides of the bowl avoiding the whisk. Continue to whisk the whites for about 2 minutes on high speed. Let cool for a couple of minutes.

4. Using a rubber spatula scrape all the whites into the bowl with the sugar/almond mixture and fold together until the batter just begins to shine an resembles a cake batter, slightly runny.

5. Pour it into a pastry bag fitted with a No. 11 plain tip. Pipe the mixture into circles about 3.5cm in diameter, spacing them every 2cm on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Tap the baking sheets on a work surface covered with a kitchen towel to let any air bubbles rise out. Let the shells crust for at least 30 min – they should go from shiny to a slightly duller look that wont stick to your finger if you lightly touch one.

6. Begin the caramel filling. Warm the cream but don’t boil, set aside. Pour about 50g of sugar into a large saucepan set over medium heat and cook until melted then add another 50g. Continue until all the sugar is melted. Allow the melted sugar to caramelise taking it to a very dark amber colour.  Being cautious of splash backs add the salted butter and mix with a spatula. Slowly add in the cream and then cook until the caramel reaches 108C over low heat. Pour into a baking dish and put plastic wrap in contact with the caramels surface. Keep in the fridge until cold. Beat the butter in the bowl of your mixer for about 8 to 10 mins, then add the caramel in two additions and beat till combined. If the mixture is very soft allow to firm up in the fridge slightly whilst baking the macarons.

7. Preheat the oven to 180C fan. The temperature of cooking in your oven may vary between 165C and 190C. Adjust the temperature according to your type of oven. Depending on the size of your oven, you can bake 3 or 4 baking sheets at a time, if it is not, cook 2 at a time. Bake for 12 minutes partially opening the door after 8minutes of baking (at this stage the feet at the base of the shell are cooked) and then a second time after 10min cooking. This is to release any steam that builds up.

8. Out of the oven, immediately slide the parchment paper onto the work surface. This is important: if you leave the shells on the baking sheet out of the oven, they will continue to cook. Cool the shells on the parchment paper. Peel off the cooled shells, one by one, by hand. These are now ready for filling or you can also store for 48 hours in refrigerator or freeze.

9. To assemble to the finished macaron take half of the shells and garnish generously with the caramel and top with 4 or 5 pieces of apple and a second shell. Store in the refrigerator overnight to improve the texture

This entry was posted in Macarons and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Frivolité – Salted Caramel and Apple Macarons

1. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Edward! If I succeed at plain macarons, this will be next on my list.

2. Biny says:

Hi,
    I want to try macaroons. Is it posible to do with electric hand mixer because i don’t have kitchen aid.
    Thanks
    Biny

• edwardkimuk says:

definitely just use the hand mixer in place of the kitchenaid. It might take a little longer to mix the meringue but it should work fine

3. gosh these look soooo pretty! pls don’t stop posting macaron recipes. we won’t get bored. promise :)

4. Pingback: Pierre Herme’s “Macaron” « He-Eats

5. Pingback: Pierre Herme’s Salted Caramel Macarons « He-Eats

6. Natasha says:

Hi, I’m loving your blog! I’ve been trying to perfect macarons for ages but have put off the Italian meringue method as I find the macarons to be significantly sweeter than the French meringue style. I am now very tempted to try these!

Which would you recommend? These or the Salted Butter Caramel – they both appeal to me, but I was wondering which you preferred. Thanks!

• edwardkimuk says:

The recipe for these and the salted caramel are actually the same but these have the apple pieces so I would make half of the apple recipes then you can half with apple and half plain salted caramel. Glad your enjoying the blog

7. Pingback: Paris Macarons « He-Eats

8. Aundrea Caripides says:

I’m very new at this and im taking this recipe as a challenge. I’m a little confused with steps 2 and 3, mainly with the egg whites. In step 2 you just add the egg whites without beating them? and in step 3 when you say to pour the syrup down the side without hitting the whisk, do i whisk after and is the syrup going in with the whisked whites? sorry im sure that is very basic but im an amateur

• edwardkimuk says:

You have two batches of egg whites. The first gets added to the almond/sugar mixture and isn’t whipped at all, it is mixed in with the meringue. The second batch is used to make a meringue. You have those egg whites in a elecric mixer and when the sugar syrup is almost at the right temperature you start whisking the eggs. When the syrup has reached the right temperature you reduce the speed of the whisk a little and the pour the syrup down the edge of the bowl avoiding the whisk, you then continue whisking the mix until it is no longer hot but still a little warm. You then mix the meringue into the other ingredients as described above
      hope that’s clearer for you :)

9. Aundrea Caripides says:

hahaha thanks! i hope this goes well, ill let you know!

10. Aundrea Caripides says:

i finally got feet on my macarons but now they turned out flat : (
    any suggestions? i think maybe the meringue was a little runny?

11. Liliya says:

Hi Ed,
    I tried to make plain macaroons many times, but never colored ones. What food coloring do you use? I thought we had only liquid ones in our stores.

12. Lea says:

Your shells look so perfect!
    Thank you for being a male food blogger!

13. Your recipe was a god sent! I used it to make my salted caramel macarons which came out really nice (I didn’t have any apples on hand.) Thank you so so so much! =)

14. sarah says:

hi Ed –
    Can’t wait to make these…made the lemon ones…lovely!…I am a massive macaron fan…keep the recipes coming!!
    PS do you know where in the UK you can get reasonably priced ground almonds and pistachio’s in bulk??
    thanks