Mint Chocolate Macarons

I have an admission to make, I completely forgot about Mactweets this month so these were made pretty last minute. Unfortunately this means I didnt get too long to plan or even think about my flavour for this months theme – “Spring Fling: Be inspired by your favorite spring flowers”. Technically my flavour doesn’t really fit the theme as mint is not a flower, it is a plant though and the green reminds me of the fresh green colour of grass and maybe the dusted brown can represent the mud. Okay I might be, absolutely am stretching here but heres my post anyway.

I probably sound like a broken record and for that I apologise but now that I have found a macaron recipe i’m happy with, that I get good results with I don’t plan on changing it anytime soon. So yes that means this is another Pierre Herme macaron using the recipe here. March 20th is Jour du Macaron in Paris (and across france) which im sure would be my favourite day in Paris (never actually been in Paris on that day). Set up by Pierre Herme 5 years ago the day celebrates the start of spring and also raises funds for charity. Patisseries provide free macarons in exchange for a donation which sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me, pun most definitely intended. Speaking of sweets and Paris, this time next month I will be in the city of lights for a week of patisserie, pasty, baguettes and anything else I can get my hands on. So I need your help, I already have a pretty large list of places to visit but am always looking for more so does anyone have some great recommendations, any lesser known places, or new up and coming places I should know about? But I cant go to Paris and just eat so I could also do with some recommendations for things to do and see.

Whipped White Chocolate and Mint Ganache

adapted from About.com

8 Ounces / 226g white chocolate

1/2 Cup / 120ml heavy cream

1 tsp peppermint extract

1. Place the chopped up chocolate into a medium bowl, set aside. Bring the cream just to a boil then pour over the chocolate. Stirring from the centre outwards mix until you have a smooth ganache. It will be much thinner than usual but thats how you want it.

2. Chill the ganache in the fridge until chilled then whisk until thickened and is in a pipeable consistency.

Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache

Pierre Herme – Chocolate Desserts

8 ounces / 230g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

1 cup / 250g heavy cream

4 tblsp / 60g unsalted butter, room temperature

1. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl, set aside. Bring the cram to a full boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Whilst the cream is coming to a boil beat the butter with a rubber spatula untilvery soft and creamy, set aside.

2. Once the cream reaches a boil take off the heat and gently stir into the chocolate using a spatula. Continue to stir, gently so as not to incorporate any air, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Let the ganache cool for a minute or two.

3. Add half the butter and stir with a spatula until smooth, repeat with the rest of the butter. Once fully incorporated the ganache will be smooth and glossy. Let the ganache cool on the counter until thickened and pipeable.

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Macarons and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Mint Chocolate Macarons

1. Julia says:

Gorgeous macs – I especially love the two-tone filling.
    SO envious of your upcoming trip! If you like kitchen gadgets (and I suspect you might) go to MORA in the 2e – right near St. Eustache, not far from E. Dehillerin – both great places. You probably already have G.Detou on your list, Goumanyat is also great, but off the beaten path (great for unique ingredients). If you even remotely like mustard, you absolutely MUST stop at Maille, right next to la Madeleine. The most incredible variety of uniquely flavoured mustards that can be bought no where else on earth than in their two store in France (Paris & Dijon of course). Even mailorder only ships them within France. I always save room in my luggage for this!
    Have an awesome trip and eat something delicious for me :)

• edwardkimuk says:

Wow thanks for the suggestions Julia definitely some to add to my list. G.Detou is on the top of my list, im worried about not having enough luggage/money for everything I plan on buying!

2. rebecca says:

wow beautiful like a pro

3. Wow. Those look amazing!

4. The color of the macaroons look so awesome!

5. Jamie says:

Wow better late than never and by better I really mean better! Gorgeous, perfect macs! Love the double buttercream. And by all means grass and mud works for our spring fling. Will stretch anyway for such great macs! Glad you made it in time, and Happy Macaron Day!

6. Mr. P says:

Amazing! I am doing my first ever batch tomorrow, so am checking your archives for tips.

MORA is amazing btw – I second Julia. They sell those paper souffle cups that you see on cupcakeblog. E. Dehillerin didn’t float my boat though.

• edwardkimuk says:

Good luck tomorrow Im sure you will do fine. E. Dehillerin for some has always intimidated me so ive never been, but im adding MORA on to my list but might have to leave my credit card at home that day!

• Mr. P says:

OK, you have to share your Paris tips. Turns out I’ll be there this month too, on 16, 17 and 18, and this time, I am spending at least twenty Euros on cool food things. Last month I was too wallet conscious, but I have decided I need the mango essence and violet dust from Detou.

I STILL need to post my macs btw. They worked. Maybe next week.

7. These look amazing, they’re like my favourite choc mint chip ice cream. My macs were herb inspired too but don’t worry I’m sure neither of us will get chucked out of the mac tweets club!!!

8. deeba says:

Glorious and refreshing combination. The two toned inners are winners all the way. Love them, and love that the recipe works great for you. Not so in my case… sigh!
    Have a wonderful week in Paris. David Lebovitz blog has some interesting must see hang outs in Paris. Maybe you can check his blog if you have time.
    Thank you for joining us at MacTweets!

9. Personally, I’m afraid I can’t really get excited about macarons… But I have to hand it to you, these are beautifully done, and could even just about tempt me!

10. Beautiful! Just perfect! You can email me if you want some tips on Paris things to do. Or check out my blog in Dec/Jan – there’s lots of fodder there…

11. Cristie says:

Really wonderful! I love the center, what a great thought. Delicious.

12. Pingback: Pierre Herme’s “Macaron” | He-Eats

13. Lea says:

They look amazing! I was thinking about that flavour combination too, once, but I wouldn’t even like it myself…

14. Rochelle says:

Love mint choc and I was inspired by the white chocolate centre idea. Nice detail! Tried it and nobody would guess it was my successful batch of macarons. Thanks for sharing.