Pumpkin Pie

I have a brand new favourite when it comes to autumnal dessert and it’s an American classic, pumpkin pie. You can forget apple pie, pecan pie and even Mississippi mud pie my new love is pumpkin. Actually scratch that I don’t think I could choose a favourite, how about we just say I love pie! Now first off I must say this recipe isn’t groundbreaking, it doesn’t use any weird ingredients. In fact the recipe comes from the back of a can, the Libbys pumpkin purée can to be exact. Yes I really am posting what must be the most commonly used pumpkin pie recipe around, the pastry recipe is one of mine though and hopefully it might encourage other Brits to try this American classic.

Shortcrust Pastry

225g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled

350g plain flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp white vinegar

60-125ml ice cold water

1. Add all the dry ingredients for the pastry and place in the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine.

2. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is cut into rough pieces, leaving some as large as peas.

3. Add the vinegar and a little of the water and pulse to combine, adding more water just until the pastry holds together, I used about 80-90ml.

4. Tip out onto the work surface and form into a ball. Divide into two equal portions and form into flat discs, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for minimum on 30 mins. This recipe makes double so you keep this in the fridge for two weeks or refrigerate it for a couple of months.

5. Roll the pastry out so that it will fit the pie plate with a 1 inch overhang. Fit the pastry in the pie plate, trim the overhang to a 1 inch border. Roll the overhang under itself forming a rolled edge resting on the edge of the plate.

6. To crimp using your thumb and forefinger of one hand, press the dough gently against our left forefinger, continuing around the pie. Refrigerate the formed crust for 15 mins.

Classic Pumpkin Pie – Libbys

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 x 425g can Pumpkin (I used Libbys)

170g caster sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 pint evaporated milk

1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F. Place a piece of parchment paper over the pie shell and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10-15 mins, remove from the oven, take out the beans and place in the oven for 5 more minutes. Reduce the oven to 180C/350F.

2. To make the filling combine all the ingredients then pour into the part baked pie shell and bake for 40-50 mins until a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean, but the centre still has a little wobble. Let cool for a couple of hours before eating.

Maple Whipped Cream

300ml double cream

3 tblsp maple syrup (or to taste)

1. whip the cream until it starts to thicken, add the maple syrup and whip to medium peaks.

This entry was posted in Pastry, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Pumpkin Pie

1. I LOVE pumpkin pie! Although saying that I love pumpkin baking generally. This year I went with pumpkin cupcakes instead but I’m guessing there might still be time for pie too.

I made one for the first time a couple of years ago puréeing fresh pumpkin and everything and my colleagues at the time loved it. I kind of grew up eating pumpkin pie though as my parent’s American friends would always make one for Thanksgiving.

Also that crimping looks incredible!

2. Kavey says:

I agree, hot crimping style you have going on there.
    Mmmm Pie!

3. Jane Angell says:

Hi Edd – We ALWAYS use the Libby’s recipe (although I often substitue ordinary milk for the evap, and it’s still good) . An American friend of mine says she always uses that one too, and that it’s the best! I’m very glad to have your pie crust recipe thanks. I try to use whole grain where possible so I might try it with half wholewheat flour… I agree, very nice crimping!
    Keep up the great work – and more recipes please!

4. Maria says:

Hi Edd

I have a problem with my pastry either collapsing when baking blind or completely shrinking away from the sides do you have any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

Am going to try your lovely recipe as I bought back some pumpkin puree on a recent trip to the states.
    Thanks
    Maria

5. Jonathan King says:

Well done on promoting the pumpkin pie, Edd. I have been making for UK friends since I moved over here from the states in 1998 and I don’t think *anyone* hasn’t loved it straight away, saying it wasn’t what they expected.

And there really is no other recipe than the Libbys one – why monkey with perfection?

J

6. I’ve also made Pumpkin Pie this week, but I did mine a little bit different this time. As I’m Canadian, I’ve grown up with the taste of pumpkin pie, but wasn’t sure how my UK friends would feel about it, so I decided to make a Pumpkin Pie Tart instead. The filling isn’t as deep as a regular pie like yours – just incase poeple weren’t crazy about the flavour. It was so nice to taste pumpkin pie again. At the last minute I also opted to use my own homemade fresh pumpkin puree instead of the canned – anyone in the UK can do this, no need to get the canned stuff from London. If you’re intersted in seeing mine, I’ll be posting it on my blog this weekend.

Ok yes – and very impressed with the pie crimping!

7. Would you believe that I have never had pumpkin pie? I have a tin in the cupboard so really should make some.

I love the idea of maple cream.

8. Louis says:

Brilliant job, been having a great time myself trying pumpkin, butternut and sweet potato permutations of pie.

Have you ever tried adding spice to the crust to make it more flavoursome? I once had an American version which used this and it was incredible.

9. A very valiant attempt Edd! I too am British but had some Pumpkin Pie related adventures this week! I hope you don’t mind, I posted a link to your version on my blog as yours looks very authentic. I tried Eric Lanlard’s Pumpkin and Pecan Tart – much lighter but not the ‘classic’ pie!

Great blog!
    Ren Behan

10. Dominic says:

love the look of your pie… was recently discussing with some fellow food bloggers who have found it hard to purchase canned pumpkin outside London (believe me, it’s near impossible) that an interesting replacement would be canned chestnut puree… not the really sweet one but the un sweetened one… what are your thoughts? Think I may give it a go. x

11. Y says:

Your pie looks fantastic! My bf still isn’t quite convinced about the merits of pumpkin pie. I might have to try this recipe and see what he thinks :)

12. diva says:

Your pastry looks perfect! Thanks for the recipe. was just thinking of all the pie (and mince pies) I need to get baking for this holiday season. Love a good pumpkin pie..it’s rich and so delicious.

13. Anne says:

Oh, Edd, if you like the Libby’s recipe you should try a REAL pumpkin pie! Adding brandy is the only way to go. My family’s recipe is the only pumpkin pie I’ll eat: