Lemon Tart

Lemon tart is one of those classic desserts that hasn’t really changed much over time, and thats good because a classic lemon tart is a thing of beauty, fresh zingy and tart, totally delicious. Whilst I think it is best served on its own if you want to turn into something a bit fancier you could serve it with fresh fruit and vanilla whipped cream, or if you want to create a fab retro lemon meringue pie than top if with the white stuff and hit it with a blow torch. As well as the recipe I have another fab competition. I will be appearing at Harvest at Jimmy’s (9-11th Sept) later in the summer and the fab folks over there have given me two pairs of tickets to give away. The festival promises to be fantastic with chefs such as James Martin, Paul a Young , and Mary berry appearing, as well as me of course ;) Plus lots of live music and lots of other stuff going on, I cant wait to go myself. To be in with a chance of winning a pair of tickets leave a comment telling me what the best foodie thing about summer is for you.

Also take a look on the right of this page, you might see something new! I have finally set up a facebook page for The Boy Who Bakes, take a look and like it if you fancy :)

Lemon Tart

Filling
Finely grated zest of 4 lemons
125g natural golden caster sugar
125ml lemon juice
4 eggs
150ml double cream

For the pastry place the flour, almods, icing sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk, water and vanilla bean paste together and add to the food processor. Pulse until the dough just starts to come together. Tip out onto the worksurface and gently knead until the dough comes together into a uniform mass. Press into a flat disc, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for an hour.

Lightly grease a 9-inch fluted tart tin (preferably with a removable base) and preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan. Roll out the pastry and line the prepared tart tin. refrigerate for 15 mins until the pastry has firmed up again. Line the tart shell with parchment and fill with a layer of baking beans or rice. Bake for 20 minutes then remove the parchment and baking beans and bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until the pastry has started to turn golden. Allow the pastry case to cool whilst you make the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/140C fan.

Place the zest, lemon juice, sugar and eggs into a medium bowl and gently whisk together until smooth. pour in the cream and again gently whisk to combine. You dont want to incorporate air so be careful to whisk nice and gently. Pour the filling into the part baked tart shell and bake for 30 minutes or until the filling has just set. Allow to cool before serving.

Tip: If you worry about a tart with a soggy bottom then  allow the part baked tart shell to cool completely then brush with an egg yolk and allow to set. This creates a seal to prevent moisture from the filling making the pastry soggy.

This entry was posted in Baking, Easy, lemon, Pastry, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Lemon Tart

1. I have two best foodie things about summer for me:

1. BBQs! The social aspect, the chance to try out new recipes for the BBQ, baking many a cake for dessert!

2. Strawberries and clotted cream. With the obligatory glass of Pimms and a helping of Wimbledon to top it off.

Have noted down your lemon tart recipe and will give it a go. I’ll let you know how I get on!

2. Maureen Veney says:

The best foodie thing about summer for me is: A rest from the ritual Sunday roast potatoes (for my husband meat and two veg, plus gravy is life itself) However, when new jersey pots are available, I get away with (just) ..honey roast ham, jersey royals and cauliflower cheese followed by homemade icecream and lots of berries mmmmmm my favourite! loving your blog, and looking forward to your book :)

3. Jacqueline says:

I’m up in Scotland, so don’t add me to the draw. I just wanted to say how much I love lemon desserts and cakes and that this tart is a thing of beauty. Just gorgeous!

4. Tanya says:

The best thing about Summer is Ice Cream – on it’s own or as an accompaniment to most puddings. I will definitely be trying the Speculoos recipe. Also the best thing about the end of the summer is your book will be out :)

5. BunnyBanter says:

One of my favourite summer food memories is going to the pick-your-own with my mum when I was little (I still go, even though I’m not so little!), and the smell of the hot earth and straw around the strawberries and raspberries, mixed with the smell of the fruit on the ground, was just heavenly. My motto was always ‘one for the punnet, several for me’. It’s still one of my favourite things to do on a summer weekend, usually followed by a picnic in a nearby field, with some cream to dunk the fruit in. Bliss :)

6. Nicola Burgess says:

Best foodie things about summer has to be grabbing bunches upon bunches of english asparagus in a semi crazed frenzy whilst its still in season and the many optimistic picnic in sunny inner city green parks and the smell of charring meat wafting round in the last few hours of golden warm sunshine…bliss…

7. Yummmmm- I’ve been looking for a lemon tart recipe, thank you!

My favourite thing about summer food? Eating outdoors! Food just seems to taste sooo much better! Especially with a bunch of friends and a glass of bubbly! lovely competition, have a great time!

8. I do so love a lemon tart in summer, and this one is gorgeous. Mine won’t ever look as beautiful as yours, but nothing could keep me away from trying!

9. Kavey says:

I really really love lemon tarts!

10. Adam says:

Looks great. I love the summer for long nights. Gives you time to spend longer in the kitchen after a dsy in the office and play around with recipes and ideas. And when local berries are ripe, there are plenty of excuses to linger over dessert!

11. Alex says:

TRIFLE BABY. With THICK homemade custard. A huge one to fill all the restless tummies of the family and friends – of all shape, size and species – as we’re all sat in the smoky garden, basking in the Sun’s setting glow. So, so sweet. Sweet looking tart btw, a very well done!

12. Rebecca says:

The best foodie thing about summer is putting together a last minute picnic during your lunch break and then heading out straight after work to a nearby park to feast on a simple supper of cheese, olives & bread with salty butter accompanied by a humongous glass of red wine. If you can track down an ice-cream van afterwards, all the better!

13. Corinna Mazzotta says:

The best foodie thing for me about the summer is a proper picnic.

Chilled fizz, scrummy bite sized morsels of gorgeousness (mini tartlets, local cheeses, smoked salmon, home made bread, you get the idea), juicy berries & sweet treats for pud all served up on a sun warmed rug.

Bliss!

14. Becci says:

Yummy, I love lemon tart!

The best thing about summer for me has to be summer berries and all that they entail – strawberries on my cereal in the morning, blueberry pancakes, strawberries and cream and, of course, summer pudding with ice cream.

15. Like tea and biscuits says:

Best foodie thing about summer is Harvest- no, not Jimmy’s festival although that sounds fabulous and I really want to go, but the start of summer brings so much bounty from the hedgerows and harvest from the garden. The enormous sense of fun and fulfilment in beating the birds to the plumpest cherries, elderflowers transformed into fizzing bottles of champagne. Shelling the first tender broad beans from the garden makes the winters efforts of digging and planting all worthwhile. That glut of summer berries is an exciting opportunity to find a way to magically convert them into something new and gorgeous. And the best bit? Being able to share the fruits of all your labours with friends and loved ones on warm summer evenings. Summer = foodie bliss.

16. Last week i was looking for some almond tarts for post in my blog and at the end i finish with the 2 most classic i know the Tracle Tart and Santiago Tart. Long life to the classics!!

17. Kayla says:

Favourite foodie thing about summer: BBQs with the family.

An assortment of marinated tofu & veggie kebabs – seared artichokes, grilled cherry tomatoes (I love the way they burst in your mouth); baked potatoes as big as our heads; and less we forget corn on the cob – steamed in their husks, and oozing under a mountain of melted butter. Don’t get me started on the acceptability of eating more than one type of pudding.

Favourite dish: A simple tater salad, like mama used to make. Soft potato chunks & diced hard boiled eggs, mixed with mayo and a dash of mustard…

done made myself hungry now.

P.S Beautiful tart! Thanks for the soggy bottom tip.x

18. Sourdough says:

Harvest at Jimmy’s- my local festival but I’ve not managed to get there yet!
    My other local festival, Latitude, does bring me a summer food highlight though- amazing wood oven pizzas, made from scratch before your eyes and cooked to perfection in minutes. A world away from traditional festival fare. Coupled with blue skies (fingers crossed), cold beers, good music and the best company, it’s hard to beat. Come to Latitude too Edd, you’ll love it!

19. Josephine says:

The best foodie thing about Summer has to be the market stalls – they scream with colour and vibrancy! Those on the North End Road are the best. The radishes are simply too pretty to walk past, and the tomatoes wink up at you. You know – simply from the intense red, and the ‘viney’ smell – that they really, really taste of tomatoes. Sea salt, olive oil and job’s a good’un!! In summer flavours are unadulterated and natural, the freshness does the talking.

20. Julia Cushion says:

Summer Pudding! As a young child I used to only eat the sweet, soggy, pinkish-purple bread, but thankfully I have grown to love all those delicious berries as well (Though the bread is probably still my favourite part!). Also you have to wait for a day for it to soak and solidify, so it’s a real treat when it’s ready! As mentioned in the comments above, even better if you go to a P.Y.O. and come home with bright red hands (and mouths)!

21. Jess says:

I used this for my GCSE food tech the other day- it worked a treat!
    Thanks :)

22. Charlotte Townsend says:

The best foodie thing about summer is my gorgeous raspberry bush which provides me with so much fruit I’m forced to spend my days dreaming up new and delicious raspberry desserts… such a hardship!

23. jo says:

Love lemon tart – my dad, who is now 80+, makes a great lemon tart for guests. Best foodie thing about summer? Right now its being able to pick and buy local berries for crumble, fools and jams. Bought two punnets of red gooseberries this morning, last ones of the year- destined for a fool!

24. Cliffoutis says:

The best foodie thing about summer has to be picnics in the park – champagne obligitory!

25. Michelle says:

I love those magical first bursts of sunshine in early summer.. Out on a Coastal walk all wrapped up to combat the chilling breeze, and then you hit a little sheltered spot and feel your whole face glow.. If you’re really lucky it’ll coincide with a bench or rock to park yourself on whilst munching a black bomber cheddar sandwich with homemade allotment pickle. Let summer commence!

26. Loca.... says:

I’ve tried to make it and it was delicious. Great recipe, congrats and thanks for sharing.
    :) )