Speculoos Ice Cream

It really was summery when I made this ice cream, I promise. Even though it’s pouring down with rain outside now when I made it the weather was so beautiful, all I wanted to do was go and laze on the Heath and enjoy the rare British sunshine. But you know what? Make this recipe anyway, curl up on the sofa, pop on your favourite film and enjoy a few scoops of this delicious ice cream. It uses a vanilla ice cream as its base and has biscuit crumbs stirred in, after churning. The flavour really improves after it has had a day to freeze, the delicious flavour of the speculoos biscuit spreads into the ice cream and your left with a spicy biscuity wonderful ice cream. For those who haven’t come across the glory that is Speculoos it is a Belgian spiced biscuit that is hands down my favourite commerically made biscuit and available at most supermarkets (it looks like thisĀ http://bit.ly/lmZ1gc).

Speculoos Ice Cream

300ml double cream
450ml whole milk
4 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tbsp vodka
125g speculoos biscuits, crushed (leaving the odd slightly larger crumb)

In a medium saucepan add the cream, milk, half the sugar and vanilla bean paste. Over medium heat bring to a simmer.

As the liquid comes to temperature add the egg yolks and the remaining sugar to a medium bowl and whisk together. Once the liquid has come to a simmer pour onto the eggs, whisking constantly.

Pour the custard mixture back into the pan and place back over low heat and cook, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

Fill a large bowl one third full of water and ice and place the medium bowl inside to make an ice bath. Pour the custard into a medium bowl and stir until cooled. Stir in the vodka and press a piece of clingfillm to the surface of the custard and refrigerate until the custard is thoroughly chilled.

Using an Ice Cream Maker churn the custard according to the manufacturers instructions.

Once churned add the biscuit crumbs and stir into the ice cream. Place into a freezable container and freeze until firm.

This entry was posted in Ice Cream + Frozen Things, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Speculoos Ice Cream

1. meemalee says:

Me me me I want it I want it!

2. Kavey says:

Me too me too me too I want it I want it I want it!

3. Claire says:

Hey,
    I made speculoos ice cream a few weeks ago but instead of using the biscuits to flavour the ice cream I used the spread which you can buy in France, have you tried it? It’s amazing stuff, tastes just like the biscuits and is wonderful when spread on brioche (or simply eaten straight from the jar!). I first heard about it on David Lebovitz blog. It’s nearly as addictive as Nutella though!
    Keep up the good work!
    Claire

4. Becky says:

This looks good. I love ice cream at any time of year, regardless of the weather!

5. Oh wow, delicious. I’ve got speculoos paste as well so going to slap some of that in too!

6. Ian says:

I took part in a Speculoos bake-off a few weeks ago. Until then I’d never thought of baking the biscuits – this is the recipe I settled on after a few goes.

Next time I’ll definitely use some of the leftovers to make the ice cream.

7. Kay says:

Ah, speculoos… Back home in Austria we always used to have them around Christmas. Love them!
    So need to make this ice cream…

8. Y says:

Love speculoos. Never put it in an ice cream before, shame on me!

9. Mrs Picky says:

Re the speculoos biscuits. I have bought some biscuits by Lotus called something like “caramelised biscuits for coffee” . They look incredibly similar to those featured and have a sweet but spicy taste. Are they the same?

10. Ida says:

My goodness, HAVE to try this!!!
    Thanks for the recipe