Lemon Yogurt and Cherry Cake

I love experimenting in the kitchen, its what this blog is about, and of course it led to a whole book of recipes. Normally the experimenting starts with an idea already formed but todays recipe started because of a little bit of a challenge. I had attended the launch of the new Collective Dairy Yogurts and they asked me if I thought I could come up with a recipe using the yogurts. Originally I thought muffins but for no real reason I’m not actually a huge muffin fan. Instead I paired the lemon yoghurt with cherries in a loaf cake and you know what? Its delicously moist, fruity and definitely a new favourite.

Lemon Yogurt and Cherry Cake

225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
175ml lemon yogurt (plain will work too)
200g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
150g cherries pitted and quartered

Frosting
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
200g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
80g lemon curd
1 tbsp milk

Grease and line a standard loaf pan and preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan.

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. In a large bowl mix together until combined the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla extract and butter. Sift the flour mixture over the liquid ingredients and gently fold together (dont beat or the cake will be tough) until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Lightly dust the cherries with about 1/2 tbsp flour, which will help the cherries from sinking in the cake, then lightly mix into the batter. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and lightly level out. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

To make the frosting beat the butter in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle until very pale then slowly incorporate the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the lemon curd, vanilla extract and milk and beat until combined. Spread across the cake and serve. I also topped the cake with a little candied lemon zest and grated white chocolate.

This entry was posted in Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Lemon Yogurt and Cherry Cake

1. claire says:

You find a bit of white chocolate in the end, then? ;)

Got me wondering whether a peach yogurt with raspberries might possibly make a Melba loaf…somehow can see that being attempted rather soon…and I like that prospect.
    The cake does look really moist and weighty -proper summery substantiality. Job well done!

2. Looks delicious! Will definitely give it a go.

Thanks!

3. Catherine Burke says:

Love your recipes Edd, keep up the good work.

4. I love yoghurt cakes – so moist but so substantial. What beautiful pictures!

5. Bernice says:

Baked this cake this afternoon – so far so good. Will ice it tonight and take into work tomorrow. Will let you know their comments. Kitchen smelt lovely during cooking.

6. Mark says:

Will be making this yummy looking cake tomorrow. Intending to eat it the following day, if it lasts that long! What is the best way to store it? Fridge or cupboard? I’ve never made a yoghurt cake before…

7. i share a few nutriotional facts about cherries that i posted time ago in my blog:
    A handful of cherries contribute a good dose of antioxidants and potassium, nutrients that help to maintain the arterial tension. Cherries are delicate fruits, with a limited season life, they are in season late from middle May to early summer days. Cherries have a high concentration of nutrients like folic acid, fibre, potassium and numerous natural antioxidants, and only 50 Kcal/100 grs. The greater concentration of vitamin C and antioxidants of the cherries occurs at the height of the season when they are well red and mature.

8. Jonathan says:

Looks a really moist cake, and will no doubt have a slight tartness which will compliment the cherries… well done Edd looks fab ;)

9. We have that same company here in New Zealand – their halloumi is unbelievably good. I’m not a huge fan of muffins…well, not the ones you get from cafes, they’re so often disappointing. This loaf on the other hand sounds stunning, I love the sound of that icing with the lemon curd in it.

10. Andrew Broughton says:

Tried it for the first time and the taste is fantastic. Found the cherries did sink unfortunately (maybe the wild cherries we picked are heavier than shop-bought ones ;o)), and put the topping on before the cake was properly cooled and so a lot of melted and fell off.

Oh well, will just have to try it again :o )

11. Aberdeen Baker says:

Made this last night and took it work. Now have some very happy staff.
    Thanks Edd!

12. This cake looks beautifully moist and a lovely texture – using yoghurt really helps with this. I’m not a big fan of flavoured yoghurts, but have a pot of gooseberry flavour in my fridge (sent by a PR company) – now I know what to do with it! Do you think I could replace the cherries with stewed gooseberry, or would it be too wet?

13. Your cake looks delicious! Pure temptation! I will need to bake it :) .

14. @Andrew Broughton my grandmother before adding fresh fruit to dough coated them with flour. After that they should not sink.

15. Jacqueline says:

Mmmmmmm, lovely. That would be really good with rasberries too. Nice photos :)

16. grace d says:

I made this cake yesterday and shared with my friends and family. They all loved it and I wish I had made 2!

17. Joanne Towns says:

I made this cake today after only just coming accross your blog a few days ago, the recipe caught my eye straight away and I was not disappointed!!! The sponge was light and moist, not airy and not heavy, just perfect :D Using lemon curd produced a beautiful icing/frosting that balanced the lemony tang and the sweetness of the sugar, this cake was a massive hit with the whole family and one that I will make again and again…and best of all it was one of those recipes where my cake turned out just like the beautiful pictures you have posted.

Im off to preorder your book on Amazon….Thank you for the recipe!!!!!

18. I have made your cake today. It’s so delicious! Thank you for great recipe :) !
    I’ve took some photos of it: http://przepisy-aleksandry.blogspot.com/2011/08/pomaranczowa-babka-jogurtowa-z-wisniami.html

19. Nina O says:

I made this cake today and it’s fab. I will be using the buttercream recipe again because it’s DELISH.

I needed to bake the cake for 90 mins, but maybe that’s just my oven…the mixture is quite wet so needed quite a while to cook through.
    My cherries also sunk despite dipping in flour, I still haven’t got the knack of that :-)

20. Savannah says:

This looks amazing! It’s gone to the top of my ‘must bake’ list :)

21. Tobias says:

Tried to make this cake today. Couldn’t find lemon yoghurt so used lemon quark. And since my fan oven either does 150C or 175C I decided to bake it at 150C. After 65 minutes the center was still just batter (tried to save it, didn’t work).

Of course did not stop me from eating it (did have to use a spoon) and it still tasted delicious. Will try to bake it at 175C the next time. And maybe I’ll try to hunt down some actual lemon yoghurt.