Wimbledon Roll

Its finals week at Wimbledon and as normal Britain has its fingers crossed that a Brit will finally do the seemingly impossible and actually win on home turf. I like tennis sure but really I love wimbledon more for the strawberries and cream than the actual game, which I find a little dull to be honest, and dont get me started on the grunting in womens tennis! with that in mind I decided to make a cake inspired by the game and the Englishness of Wimbledon itself. Using strawberries and cream of course, but also with a touch of pimms and some classic british baking. I came up with the wimbledon roll, a traditional swiss roll filled with cream and strawberries that have been macerated in pimms. If by some miracle there is a Brit in the final why not whip up this cake and enjoy it on Sunday for the big day.

‘Wimbledon’ Swiss Roll

4 large eggs
125g natural golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
100g plain flour
icing sugar to dust

Filling

175ml double cream
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
350g strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp pimms

Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan. Lightly grease a 9×13 swiss roll tin and line with a sheet of baking parchment.

Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or using a hand mixer whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. When the beater is lifted from the bowl the batter should form a thick ribbon.

Sieve the flour over the egg mixer and gently fold together until just combined. You want to keep as much air in the batter as possible so do be as gentle as possible.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and gently level out. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Place a sheet of parchment paper onto the work surface and sprinkle with a thin layer of caster sugar. Turn out the cake onto the sugar lined parchment and carefully remove the parchment paper from the base of the cake. Cover with a slightly damp tea towel and allow the sponge to cool for 15-20 minutes. Whilst the cake cools place the strawberries into a bowl with the sugar and pimms and allow to soak. Place the double cream and vanilla bean paste into a clean bowl and whisk until it holds medium peaks.

To assemble spread the cake with the whipped cream, leaving a clear half-inch border. Drain the strawberries and spread evenly across the cream. Carefully roll the cake into a log and place seam side down onto  a serving plate and dust with icing sugar

Note: If you prefer you can soak the strawberries in champagne, another wimbledon favourite.

Dont forget you can pre-order my book here
out September 8th

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Wimbledon Roll

1. Julia says:

Mmmmm yummy, I’m loving this idea. Will give this a go for Sunday.

2. Julia says:

This looks absolutely amazing! BTW, have you ever heard of/baked a gypsy tart? My Dad says it was his favourite pudding at school and I haven’t met a decent recipe yet… all my dad remembers is that it involves evaporated milk and brown sugar? Thanks for all your amazing recipes!

3. claire says:

Okay edd, will do! Top dessert for a mother who needs it tomorrow :)

Julia -try good food website, if not I can find out mine?

• Julia says:

Thanks Claire – last recipe I tried was from the Guardian who are normally pretty reliable, but I will keep trying anyhow! :)

4. Claire says:

This looks absolutely delightful. I love the idea and that you soaked the strawberries in Pimms- yummy!

5. Thanks Edd, this is going on the menu for my Secret Strawberry Afternoon Tea next Sunday, part of South Manchester’s very own social season. Let’s hope the sun shines…Gwyneth

6. This sounds amazing – I love the idea of strawberries macerated in Pimms. Will have to wait till it’s summer in NZ to try this…will also have to get a proper sponge roll tin and face my fear of rolling up cakes too, come to think of it…

7. Strawberries soaked in pimms is such a perfect idea – this definitely beats the bonkers strawberries and cream sandwich which went on sale :-)

8. Franziska says:

Strawberries soaked in Pimms… why didn’t I think about that? ;-) Great idea!
    Oh, and I’m with thelittleloaf here, this Wimbledon rolls beats the two slices of white processed bread with strawberries and cream on it by miles! Did anyone try that sandwich, by the way?

9. Are you serious? I am actually drooling at my scene! just added to my must bake list!