Coconut Semifreddo

Ice cream is only good when its warm outside right? Not at all, I am one of those people who loves ice cream all year round. I was making this because it was sunny and warm but of course this being Britain as soon as it was finished the heavens opened and it turned cold again. This recipe is perfect for those people who dont have an ice cream machine as Semifreddo is an italian dessert very similar to ice cream but which doesnt need churning, yet still has a smooth texture. In other news I am moving into a new flat soon and need to hear all your tips on making the most of a small kitchen?

New Macaron Class dates available

Coconut Semifreddo

500ml double cream
50g toasted dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
150g golden caster sugar
4 yolks
1 egg

Place the double cream and toasted coconut in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil then cover the pan, remove from the heat and allow the cream to steep for an hour. Strain the cream through a fine sieve and discard all except a large spoonful of the coconut

Place the egg, yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the sugar has dissolved, to test rub the egg between the fingers it should feel smooth without any sugar grains.

Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk until the egg mixture is pale and thickened forming a ribbon when the whisk is removed from the bowl, this is best done with an electric mixer.

In a separate bowl whisk the double cream until soft peaks are formed, then lightly fold this into the egg mixture, a third at a time. Lightly mix in the retained.  At this point you can pour this semifreddo mixture into a choice of moulds such as a clingfilm lined loaf tin (the clingfilm means it can be removed easily and then cut into slices) or for simplicity pour in a sealable container and freeze until firm then simply scoop to serve.

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Coconut Semifreddo

1. This looks and sounds amazing, can’t wait to give it a try – winter is no barrier to enjoying frozen desserts!

2. I absolutely agree! I could eat ice cream all year round. I was given an ice cream maker for my birthday and have been obsessively using it to try new flavours and combinations, but this semifreddo looks so yummy I’ll definitely give it a go :-)

Congratulations on the new book btw – it’s awesome!

3. I am a huge ice cream fan. Love that this heats the cream and the coconut together, bet it tastes amazing.

4. Catherine Burke says:

Can’t wait to try this one this weekend.

5. ruthie says:

Hey Edd

Just wanted to pop on and say thanks so much for your hard work with us tonight – it was great to have you and you did a great job with all those cakes – especially bearing in mind the tooth!!! Hope you got some suitable “anaesthetic” for it!

Ruth

6. Lisa says:

The weather is suppose to be hot, hot at the weekend! so perferct excuse for making and eating this ice cream.

7. Nickie Chapman says:

Small kitchen tip! Get one of these – http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8405951.htm. You’ll free up an entire cupboard. I had one similar to that but smaller, and I also added some screw in hooks on the bottom for mugs.

I had a tiny kitchen – it was literally an expanded understairs cupboard (rolling out Christmas cookies on a 12 inch counter top while bumping your head on the stairs isn’t fun!). I also had a butcher block on wheels that I kept in the hallway outside of the kitchen. In it I had all my spices, herbs, baking stuff like sugar and flour – so I could get at it easily. I’d wheel it to the doorway and just block myself in. When I eventually got a microwave, I put it on top of the butcher block too. Very handy.

8. Christina says:

As odd as it sounds, I prefer ice cream in the cooler months because it won’t melt and get sticky.
    I like coconut ice cream, so this looks quite tasty.

9. Katie says:

Any ice-cream that doesn’t require an ice-cream maker – or regular stirring while setting – is good by me! I look forward to finding an excuse to make it…

My kitchen is miniature, by the way – it’s definitely a struggle, but it does at least force me to wash up as you go along when cooking… my only tip is to organise your cupboards by how often you use things – otherwise you’ll constantly be scrabbling around at the back of a shelf to find the pepper…