Salted Caramel Brownies

If you’re still on the New Years health kick then stop reading now, this recipe wont do you any favours! If you want a seriously decadent and utterly scrumptious brownie then this is for you.  I’m not sure why, but I hadn’t intended to put this recipe online, it was published in Delicious magazine last year but since the issue left the shelves I’ve had regular requests for the recipe – so here it is! Take a delicious fudge brownie and add to it a layer of gooey salted caramel and you get a treat thats pretty hard to beat. A few little tips on how to make the best brownie you can. Firstly, weigh the bowl you are making the batter in, that way you can accurately divide the batter in half so when you add the caramel layer it will be perfectly centred. Secondly you can make the caramel ahead but reheat slightly before using, it will be more fluid and it will help you get an even layer throughout the brownie.

Salted Caramel Brownies – Makes 12

Salted Caramel Filling
175g caster sugar
150ml double cream
10g unsalted butter
large pinch of flaked sea salt

Fudge Brownies
180g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder (my preferred brand is Green and Blacks)
1/4 tsp salt
300g dark chocolate, around 65-75% cocoa solids
150g unsalted butter
220g light brown sugar
150g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

To make the caramel place the sugar into a medium saucepan, set over medium heat and cook until the sugar melts and caramelises – make sure to cook it far enough – it should look like the colour of an old penny. Pour in half the cream and all the salt, be careful the mixture will bubbly up violently. Once the mixture has calmed down pour in the remaining cream followed by the butter, if there are any lumps place the pan back on the heat and stir until smooth. Take off the heat and allow to cool and then pour into a squeeze bottle (this makes it easier to spread the caramel later).

For the brownies preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a 9×13 light coloured pan and line with a strip of parchment leaving about a 2-inch overhang along the long edges to make removing the brownies easier. Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside. Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, and stir occasionally until the mixture is fully melted. Take the bowl of the heat and add the eggs and sugars and beat until the mixture is smooth. Sieve over the flour mixture and gently fold together.

Divide the mixture equally in half and spread out the first half into the prepared tin. Using the squeeze bottle pour the caramel over the batter leaving a 1 1/2 cm border around the outside. You now need to spread the remaining batter over the caramel and this bit can be a little tricky. You can gently drape it over the caramel but it can be hard to get an even layer so my preferred method is to use a piping bag using a wide flat piping tip like this (with the flat side facing up).

Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 until the a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, you dont want raw batter. Allow to cool completely before using a sharp knife to cut into squares.

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Salted Caramel Brownies

1. linda says:

Happy New Year and thank you for this recipe – looks amazing and definitely my kind of brownie!
    Just interested in how you make the caramel – something I have been exploring recently. I’ve used recipes with condensed milk but will be trying this for sure – thanks again!
    Linda

2. Beck Willis says:

Reading this blog makes it look and sound easy and I always have a fear of burning the caramel but I feel an urge to give it another go!

3. Yael says:

Tasted these first when we paid your Maltby Street Market stall a visit and fell in love! They are addictive! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

4. Jacqueline says:

They look wonderful Edd and luckily I do the 5:2 diet, so I could, if I wanted to eat these on one of five days each week.

5. Paola says:

Hi Edd thanks for this amazing recipe. Just wondering about the caramel – you write that there is 10g butter in it but I don’t see it in the instructions so I am not sure when it is mixed in. Thanks!

6. shachar says:

HI.
    In The Caramel Filling recipe, you wrote 10g of butter, but i didnt understand when should i use it…?

7. Bernice says:

Hi Edd,
    This recipe is fantastic. I made it when it was featured in Delicioius. The brownies are to die for! Thank you for sharing all your hard work. What would we do without you?
    Happy New Year.
    B x

8. These look utterly delicious! I normally swirl the caramel in my brownies but love the idea of making it into its own layer.

9. Grace says:

Ooooh sounds delicious! I will definitely give this recipe a go!

10. Bugger the new year’s health kick resolution. Some of these salted caramel brownies has gotta be good for the soul! :-)

11. CoconutRose says:

My goodness, I had a leftover jar of homemade salted caramel (leftover, yeah right, i made too much salted caramel for Christmas pressies) and made these last weekend they were AMAZING! the most painful part was waiting for them to be cool enough to eat though!!!

12. Von @ Sweeetoholics says:

this recipe is fantastic.. tried once and its superb..planning to bake this weekly,.

13. I tried this today at the pop-up bakery in Fortnum and Mason. Just divine!!
    Check out my full review and photos here: http://bit.ly/YOGLH7

14. Liv says:

Stumbled across your blog and it is awesome! I baked the salted caramel brownies and now you have loads of Canadian fans.

15. CakeMadKanny says:

Thanks for this recipe. I made these today and they went down really well. I found that piping of the top layer was pretty fiddly but the results are well worth it, you can really see the distinct layer of salted caramel.
    Delish!

I wanted to check where the vanilla essence comes in – with the sugar and eggs?

Thanks again!

16. If you don’t have squeezy bottles (I went to Lakeland to get some today but it was closed) do you think using an icing bag with a small hole cut out of the end, or a writing nozzle, would work?

x

17. Izzy says:

Hi Edd – wonder if you could advise pls? Am having trouble making caramel, well not so much making it, as not burning it! I have been making the caramel using a thermometer to get to the right temperature but by the time I have got to the right temperature the stuff is burnt. I used to use a medium pan but thought the base of the pan and layer of the sugar too thin to be able to get accurate tempature reading as thermometer almost on base of pan. So bought really really small pan so there would be ‘more’ caramel to test but and not having much success here either. Where am I going wrong? Should I just go back to the medium pan, exercise patience and not have the gas so fierce and not use the thermometer (as it resting on base of pan)? Any tips you can give gratefully received! Best Iz

• Edd says:

You are probably cooking the caramel too much. With this sort you dont need the thermometer. Cook the sugar until it is melted and the colour of and old rust penny then add pour in the cream and the butter

18. Claire says:

Wow! Made these yesterday and they are easily the nicest brownies I’ve ever had (and I bake a LOT). Only one thing, though – my salted caramel turned out a lot runnier than the recipe suggests, which made the finished brownies incredibly soft and gooey (yum, but almost impossible to cut/eat!). I followed the recipe to the letter – any ideas where I went wrong?

19. az says:

Hi Edd,

If i were to add ground nuts, almonds and such into the brownies batter. Would it effect the final result? Thanks so much!

20. Thomas says:

I managed to convince my GF in to letting me take 4 of these brownies in to the office ‘for colleagues’. By 11am I had eaten 3 and only gave the last one away so I didn’t have to tell a pack of lies when asked if they enjoyed them. These are more addictive ‘crack’ and there should be some kind of warning… :)

21. I took my salted caramel obsession a wee bit further…

And i’ve made these brownies countless times now, they have become a family favourite! x

22. Fiona says:

Hi there, I noticed in the video you put 20g butter and the recipe says 10g does this make a difference?

23. Fiona says:

Hi Edd,

I made these and they tasted lovely, but the caramel soaked in and didn’t really come out as a proper caramel layer. I dodn’t uses all of the caramel made, but there was a good layer. Any ideas on how to improve?