My Take on Cronuts

Would you queue up from 6am to be first in line for a pastry? What if it was a cross between a doughnut and a croissant? What if it was made by one of the best bakers in New York? Sounding a bit more likely now? Well it is for me! Dominique Ansel launched the now eponymous Cronut at the start of May and ever since, there have been daily queues of people lined up outside the shop, trying to get hold of one of the 200 pastries made daily. Amazingly for a doughnut they havent just taken New York by storm, they have taken the internet by storm too. Since I wont be in New York any time soon I thought I would see if I could replicate them at home, and you know what? They are pretty damn good! Now the dough I’m using isnt a proper croissant dough, its my quick dough made with just 20 minutes active work which, compared to traditional croissant dough is a snap to make. Making these has actually just made me want to try the real thing more, if my simpler at home version is this good how good must the real thing be! Just need to get myself to New York I guess.

Lemon and Vanilla Fauxnuts
Double batch of 20 minute croissant dough
100g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon

Glaze
Juice of 1 lemon
Icing sugar

Filling
300ml whole milk
1 vanilla bean
4 large egg yolks
2 tbsp plain flour
50g caster sugar

You need to start the recipe the day before you want to cook the fauxnuts as the dough needs resting time. The full dough recipe is here.

Before frying make the lemon sugar, filling and the glaze. For the sugar rub the zest, and the sugar together for a few minutes, cover and set aside. For the filling place the milk into a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Using a sharp knife scrape out the vanilla beans from the pod and place into the pan with the pod itself. Add the egg yolks, flour and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until smooth. When the milk comes to the boil remove the vanilla pod and then pour the milk over the eggs, whisking to combine. Pour the custard back into the pan and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Pour the custard back into the bowl, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until needed.

For the glaze, add enough icing sugar to the lemon juice until you have a thick pipeable mixture, you are looking for a thickness similar to toothpaste. Press clingfilm onto the surface of the glaze, to prevent it crusting over and set aside until needed.

Roll out the dough to about 1cm thick, much thicker than you would roll the dough if making a croissant. Using a 3 1/2-Inch cookie cutter, cut out 10 doughnuts and then using a 1-Inch cutter cut out the hole. Allow the doughnuts to proof at room temperature until the doughnuts have puffed up. When ready to fry fill a thick bottomed saucepan two thirds full with vegetable oil and place over medium heat and bring to 170C. When at temperature fry the doughnuts two at a time.

Fry the doughnuts for a couple minutes each side, or until deep golden brown. Using a metal slotted spoon remove from the pan and place onto a wire rack covered with kitchen paper. Once cooled enough to handle roll the outside of the doughnuts in the lemon sugar, set aside to cool completely.

Place the vanilla custard into a piping bag fitted with a bismarck tip. Press the tip into each quater of the fauxnuts and pipe in a small amount of the custard. For the decoration place the glaze into another piping bag and snip off the end, and pipe a ring around the top.

For me these were best as close to assembling as possible, whilst they are still crisp, although they were still delicious within a few hours if a little softer.

Here is a video on the original Cronut from Dominique Ansel

World, Meet the Cronut from Beryl Shereshewsky on Vimeo.

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to My Take on Cronuts

1. what a great idea. Like you I am not in New York any time soon so this is a fab idea. I just need to not eat for several days to justify the calories – fried croissants? ooh la la !

2. These look amazing, Edd! And like an awful lot of effort! Next time you’re making them maybe you could let me know? :-)

3. These sound amazing! Maybe the Beeb should send you out to try them? (Worth an ask LOL) Failing that we’ll carry your luggage and film you :)

4. Tresco says:

3´50 dollars a (small) piece !!! It really must be tasty.

5. Jo says:

Oh my days, they look deeee-lish!

6. Kirsty says:

Mmm looks good!

7. Katelyn says:

These look great! And I love that you used a quick 20 minute dough. Definitely less work than the 2 day mission that mine were! Thanks for sharing :)

8. These look phenomenal! Great job replicating the infamous cronut.

I notice a distinct lack of doughnut holes in the photos. Gee, I wonder what happened to them! ;)

9. Jyll says:

You did a gorgeous job! They look amazing!

10. Shyzel says:

This is so Amazing….. I can not wait anymore :9

11. Julie Shields says:

Mmmm, a fried croissant/doughnut? With that amount of fat in it, I’m sure it would be very popular here Scotland! ;-)

12. Joy says:

These look awesome! How many cronuts does this recipe make?

13. Keren says:

How long should I let them proof? Can you post a pic after proofing before frying?

14. A croissant AND a doughnut??!! Wow. Just wow. They look beautiful and delicious … I’m not so sure if my hips will forgive me but I don’t think I care :-D

15. Miguel says:

Great job, these look absolutely phenomenal!

16. Monica says:

Hi there, these looks so amazing I would like to make them and document on my blog if that’s ok! The croissant dough looks amazing!

17. sean says:

i had problems, the butter seems to be sticking out and melted when i deepfry them . how do i solve it ?

18. Clarissa says:

Tried out the recipe today and I must say the 20 minute croissant dough recipe is quite amazing. Tasted so good! Thank you for sharing this. Made cronuts, pain aux chocolats, regular croissants and bakers’ muffins with the scraps. Definitely will be using this recipe many times in the future!

19. Danielle says:

Hi Ed
    I’d like to make the cronut recipe and just wondering if I can use fresh yeast instead of dry yeast for the dough? If so, how much? Thanks. I made the chorizo rolls and a vegetarian version with roasted sweet potato and basil pesto instead of the chorizo, both were yum thanks for the recipe

20. Neo Griot says:

Hi! These look great! I am soooo nervous about making custards/curds though. When I make ice cream bases I usually substitute (American) corn starch for the egg yolks. Do you think I could do the same here?

21. Elsa says:

Am kinda scared to make these. Love doughnuts and croissants… Will the combo really be worth it?!

22. Renan Ferrer says:

The third photo opened my appetite! It is almost an art.

Congratulations for the work!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Cheers

Renan Ferrer

23. Pingback: The cupcake debate | Story PR Blog

24. Hadia says:

I have seen your recipe at MB Things I know…THIS LOOKS AMAZING..

25. Elena says:

Muchas gracias llevaba mucho tiempo queriendo tener esta receta. Thank you, it’s delicious

26. Liam says:

Hi I have just completed my first batch if the famous cronut all went well I was just wondering how long roughly they can be left before they go bad. Thanks

27. Pingback: Salted Caramel Fried Croissant Poppers - An American Cupcake in London

28. Mel says:

Hi Ed,
    Having drooled over photos of cronuts and from reading your blog over and over I decided to try out the recipe this weekend and wow what a result. Not something to make in a rush but they were worth the effort and wait. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :-)